All applicants, including graduates from foreign institutions, must hold either US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status at the time of application. Candidates with "pending" citizenship or permanent residency will not be considered.
Minimum Academic Requirements
The Touro University California College of Pharmacy screens for interview eligibility based off of the primary (PharmCAS) application and letters of recommendation. Minimum Science and Cumulative GPA's of 2.75 are required. In cases where either the cumulative or science GPA's fall below 2.75, the Admissions Committee will conduct a secondary review focusing on the most recent 30 units comprised of Chemistry, Biology, and other Physical Sciences coursework.
New for 2017-18 Application Cycle: A Bachelor's degree is no longer required. Including the minimum course requirements listed below, candidates must complete a minimum of 90 semester units (135 quarter units) of degree applicable coursework.
The PCAT is not required.
Throughout the application process, candidates are evaluated based upon a variety of criteria, including the following:
- Academic Competence
- Personal/Professional Achievements
- Demonstrated Leadership Skills
- Written Communication Skills
- Verbal Communication Skills
- Exposure to/Experience in Pharmacy
Minimum Course Requirements
Candidates for admission to the College of Pharmacy are required to complete the following coursework with a grade of "C" or better:
- 8 semester units/12 quarter units of General Chemistry with lab (may be any combination General, Inorganic, Physical, or Environmental Chemistry courses)
- 8 semester units/12 quarter units of Organic Chemistry with lab (4 semester units of Biochemistry may be substituted for the second semester of Organic Chemistry)
- 4 semester units/6 quarter units of Human Anatomy/Physiology (combined course) with lab OR one course each of Human Anatomy and Human Physiology with lab required for Physiology only.
- 4 semester units/6 quarter units of Microbiology with lab
- 3 semester units/5 quarter units of Calculus
Though not required, a Biochemistry course is recommended for additional academic preparation.
All required coursework must be completed prior to the start of classes. Candidates missing required coursework at the time of application may be permitted to proceed provisionally in the application process, provided they meet all other requirements. Candidates are informed of this provisional status via email sent with the invitation to interview.
Letters of Recommendation
The College of Pharmacy requires three letters of recommendation, which should be submitted with the PharmCAS application. One letter must be from a biological/physical sciences faculty member from whom you have received a grade in their class. The source of the remaining two letters is up to the applicant, though at least one letter relating to pharmacy work (e.g. pharmacist, pharmacy supervisor, etc.) is preferred. Letters from family members will not be accepted.
If you do not submit all required letters of recommendation with your PharmCAS application or you wish to submit additional letters of recommendation, letters may be submitted via one of the methods provided below. Please note, however, that submitting letters outside of the PharmCAS application will delay your ability to interview for our program. Please make certain that your letter writer includes your full name and your PharmCAS ID.
- Letters may be emailed directly from the letter writer to Ms. Jacqueline Harte at Jacqueline.firstname.lastname@example.org. This is the preferred method of submitting letters of recommendation after initial submission of your PharmCAS application.
- Letters may be mailed, via US Mail, to Touro University California, Attn: Pharmacy Admissions, 1310 Club Drive, Vallejo, CA 94592. Letters must be mailed directly from the letter writer.
- Letters may be submitted via PharmCAS after your application has been verified, but you must provide us with the name of your letter writer and the date when the letter was submitted. If you do not provide this information, we will not be able to download your letter.
Be sure to submit all application materials prior to their respective deadlines! Letters of recommendation are used for admissions purposes only and do not become part of the official academic record.
Additional Requirement for Graduate of Foreign Institutions
The Touro University - California College of Pharmacy considers applications from graduates of foreign institutions. The College does not, however, evaluate foreign transcripts. Transcripts and coursework from foreign institutions must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES). Evaluations must be sent directly to PharmCAS and must indicate that the foreign degree should be considered equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited US institution.
Advanced Placement (AP) Credit
Touro University - California accepts advanced placement credit as long as such credit appears on the undergraduate transcript and indicates either specific subject credit (e.g. General Chemistry - 4 units) or specific course credit (e.g. Chem 101 - 4 units). General advanced placement credit without such specifications is not accepted.
Copyright 2005 - 2017, Touro University, All Rights Reserved.